Wrecks Below the Grand Hotel 1881
Robert Ernest Roe 1852-1921
To the right is the Scarborough Lifeboat Station. The boathouse was built in 1940. The painting depicts shipwrecks and these tragedies eventually led to the development of a lifeboat service. The station was moved to the harbour area in 1821. From 1801 to 1984 there were 567 launches of the Scarborough Lifeboat and 441 lives were saved. A total of 16 lifeboatmen were lost during this period.
Admire, in the words of Sir Nikolaus Pevsner, ‘the wondrous Grand Hotel, a High Victorian gesture of assertion and confidence, of denial of frivolity and insistence on substance than which none more telling can be found in the land’. Architect: Cuthbert Brodrick. Completed in 1867, it was one of the first purpose-built hotels and a landmark in hotel construction.
The West Pier was begun in 1817 and completed in 1822, William Chapman was the engineer. At the landward end of the pier are impressive Victorian buildings in red brick, housing the fish salesmen and Harbour Offices. The architects were Hall and Tugwell (1886).
Directions to Location 6